Saturday, August 23, 2008

God's Child

‘I’ll drive you away,’ the little one said
As he tightened his fist and tossed his small head.
‘I’ll crawl and make noise so I can’t feel your love.
I don’t want to hear of this God up above!

Well, sometimes I do. I’m almost drawn in
To your talk about Jesus and freedom from sin;
But I have to resist. I don’t want to care,
So I yell, “Blah! Blah! Blah!” when you bow in prayer.

He loves me. He’s calling. I feel so afraid
Of the change it would cause in this life that I’ve made.
It may not be great, but it’s all that I know.
This God that you talk of…don’t tell me, just show.

I sense you might love me. I know that you care.
You catch my wrongdoing; insist I play fair.
I just might come back here to cause you more pain
‘cause maybe you’ll show me your Jesus again!’


Gal 6:9 reminds us:
Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest
if we do not give up.

We need to keep on working with children like this, trusting that God’s spirit will overcome the Evil One in the battle for their souls. Our task is to keep tilling the soil, planting the seed, and loving these little ones into Jesus’ waiting arms.

Aug 23, 2008
After my week at VBS

1 comment:

Violet N. said...

There's a lot of truth in this poem, Helen! The last line really sums it up. And thanks for your comment on my Bible Drive-Thru blog. It's nice to have met someone else with a heart for the spiritual well-being of children!