Thursday, July 24, 2008

On Becoming A Sleuth

I have been chasing a trail through cyber space these days. Realizing that in order to write a certain article, I also needed to become a private investigator has been a rather invigorating experience. Bring on the Sherlock Holmes hat and the magnifying glass!

Well, OK, we live in the 21st century, so bring on the Google search. Much less cumbersome … or is it?

I can’t tell you how many hours I have spent trying to track down a certain surgeon, who performed a certain surgery back in 1958! Bit by bit I have added to my information about him, and come to understand to a certain degree what the surgery entailed. But, the question remained. Was he still alive and where was he?

Obituaries Canada didn’t show him as being dead. In fact he had spoken at other well-known doctors’ funerals within the last couple of years. Encouraged, I continued my quest.

Two days ago, I found him! Entering a site I had been to before, but from a different angle, I found all the contact information I needed.
I could hardly believe it. Would he still be there?

A letter explaining my mission was carefully drafted and sent winging its way across … whatever it wings across. (I definitely do not understand how this network of the world works, but I sure appreciate it. It beats pounding the pavement with a magnifying glass.)


Yesterday, a response; I have made contact! I am an investigative journalist!

No comments: